Sunday, March 9, 2014

43 Days until the Boston Marathon

With another Sunday long run done with, and a few more miles under the belt, I'm starting to feel the grind and exhaustion of the past 18 weeks.  After looking back on those 18 weeks, I've raced 2 half marathons, 2 cross country races, one road 5k and loaded a few yoga sessions into the mix.  It's not a lot of racing, but with a busy schedule, it sure seems like a lot.  It also has been a mental challenge to come so close in the half marathon Olympic Trials standard (Houston race of 1:05:38 to the qualifying time of 1:05:00), and keep grinding away towards the marathon standard, but I know it's going to pay off in Boston.

The Boston Marathon is still far enough away, that I am not totally pumped about it, or amped, but at the same time, I can't wait to race it.  I've been waiting 5 years to run this marathon, and I hope it's everything I dream of.  And at this point, the training has been relatively strong.  In the grand scheme of 18 weeks; I've had a tad bit more miles than my build up to the US Marathon Champs, and a few better races leading up to Boston.  Last week I ran a half marathon in Phoenix, Arizona, that didn't go as well as I would've like, but I am now satisfied with the performance.  A real quick run down - I was 2nd place in 1:07:52, and the conditions were rainy and windy.  It's not an excuse to run that time, but considering a few other factors, I am okay with it.  If anything, it has really fueled the fire in my training, which is why this past week has been one of my better weeks of training in a long time.

Moving forward, I will continue to keep my mileage at the magical HUNDO (100 miles), and really stay diligent about getting up early before work to maintain that mileage.  Since it's been lighter, later in the days, I've now moved my workout session to the afternoons.  Things are looking good, and I can't wait to get to Boston!

Last Week: 2/24 - 3/2

Mon - pm. 10 miles
Tue - Off
Wed - pm. 4x1 mile w/4min rec. (5:05, 5:06, 5:01, 4:58). 10 total
Thur - am. 6 miles / pm. 10 miles
Fri - am. 6 miles pm. Drove to Phoenix
Sat - am. Phoenix Half Marathon 2nd place - 1:07:52. 18 miles total
Sun - am. 8 miles / pm. Drove Home

Total: 68 miles

This Week: 3/3 - 3/9

Mon - pm. 10 miles
Tue - am. 6 miles / pm. 10 miles
Wed - am. 4 miles / pm. 2 mile wu 4x2 miles w/2min rec. [5:21, 5:07] [5:20, 5:34] [5:19, 5:10] [5:28, 5:26] Windy going north on the bike path 2 miles cd. 12 miles total
Thur - am. 6 miles / pm. 10 miles
Fri - am. 4 miles / pm. 8 miles
Sat - am. 11 miles / pm. 6 miles w/strides
Sun - am. 22 miles w/5x1 mile w/1min rec. [5:12, 5:11, 5:08, 5:15, 5:06]

Total: 109 miles


No comments: