Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Duke City Marathon Training & Fatherhood

Marathon Training & Fatherhood


Preface

My life compared to the life that my wonderful and amazing wife Arlene has gone through are two, 1 million times different situations and zero comparison should be made. I need that to be infinitely clear, that zero comparison should be made between the differences of our roles as parents. I’m solely writing this as a father, and the experience I’ve encountered with running and having the light of my life - Santiago, around as a new experience. So, runners out there, please note that being a father is completely different from the path a mother has to follow. It’s like we are still training and racing on a track, and the mother is racing and training on a technical trail with weighted shoes that force you to run underwater every now and then…



The Joy of Training:

With Santiago being only 5 months old, it sure feels like a much longer time when thinking back. This year has seemed to have been on a slower setting than most - which I am grateful for. The moment he was born to my first run was a mere 2 days off. That first run as a dad felt like a survival run. A run where I had to make sure I got home safely and ran it almost in fear, clicking off some rather quicker splits than I would normally run. Sub 7 minutes for an “easy” run were logged on the good old garmin. Arlene told me, this was due to the fact that I wanted to get home quicker, which made perfect sense.


After about a month of infrequent running, I got the opportunity to run a trail race - Cedro Peak 25k in April. I could test my grit and attempt to grind out 15 miles in the forests. That race was a success, even with limited sleep and the guilt of leaving home early to attend a running event. I ran it hard, pushed myself on the trails and wound up 3rd overall with some friendly company.


Finishing Cedro Peak
With a steady climb of mileage after this race, I thought I was on a good track to hit some mileage numbers in the 60s to 70s. But, it took much longer to climb. My mileage chart started to look impressive with a steady stock market increase, but the true numbers were still in the 50s. I was ok with that. As long as I was making progress, then all would be fine.


Realizing that sleep wasn’t a huge priority, just as long as I got some, then I could zombie myself out of bed to run before the summer heat would get to me. Sprinkle in a few workouts or the occasional 5k race over the summer, and I was maintaining fitness. However, marathon fitness wasn’t there. I needed to get a long run in, and some tempo runs in, in order to feel somewhat ready for 26.2 miles.

The Gang: Adam, Ben, myself & Sean


By this time, it’s August, and I’ve had a few weeks off juggling life, back to school stuff, youth coaching, and a 10k trail race that I am an RD for. But, all in all, the training has been decent for a vintage man of my stature.


The plan has been to race the Duke City Marathon in October. This plan has been on my mind since the moment we found out that Santiago would be in our life. I’ve never raced this marathon, and thought it would be a logistical breeze compared to traveling and leaving home to run another race. Why not run a marathon in our own backyard? And the more I thought about it, the better I felt about the situation.


Training has been good and the following has occurred:


  • Since June, I’ve had 9 weeks over 50 miles per week (this is weak, but I’ll take it for now).

  • Only 5 tempo workouts, averaging 5:40-5:50 pace.

  • Longest long run has been 18.5 miles.

  • 10k race in 34:54


Based on this gibberish, I am still hoping to run a marathon faster than 2 hours plus my age - so a marathon faster than 2:42 in October. I’ll be celebrating my 42nd birthday and what better way than to do that by running 42 kilometers! More importantly is having my family there and for me to see Santi immediately afterwards. I am beyond thrilled to continue this journey with him and Arlene there. Otherwise, it's not even worth doing this selfish endeavor. Waking up early to leave my family would only be a way to stay healthy, but the competitiveness in me to do see what I can create with this life seems to be more fun and a test of what this body can really do. But, I yearn to be that proud dad who gets to hold his child after a long and tolling race.


Last Week of Training (week of 9/2/24):


Monday: 8 miles

Tuesday: easy 7 miles

Wednesday: 3x1 mile tempo (5:48, 5:38, 5:34) w/3 min recovery

Thursday: easy 8 miles

Friday: easy 7.4 miles

Saturday: easy 8 miles with the stroller 

Sunday: Chips and Salsa 10k race - 34:54. 12.5 miles total.


Weekly Total: 60.4



Top 3: In reverse order from left to right





No comments: