Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Boston Marathon Approaches

The Boston Marathon is just over the amount of time it takes to cover Lent - 41 Days. It's quickly approaching with excitement and anxiety as many members of the Dukes Track Club continue their training. For me, I'm hoping that the third time is a charm, meaning I actually make it to the starting line and finish in a respectable time as compared to my first and second attempts. The first being hurt with an it-band injuring accompanied with a bit of pneumonia for good measure. I think the Boston marathon gods made sure I didn't run that year - 2013. Then the following year I was sidelined with not 1, but 3 stress fractures. So like I said, may the third time be a charm. 

At this point in my career and training, I'm praying to be fit enough to get this race under my belt.  After Boston I would like to move forward towards a more practical marathon build up with a greater opportunity to be more competitive... And to be "more competitive" is a relative term, I know. I feel that I'll always be competitive with myself and those I race against even when I'm 90 years old. But, for the brief amount of time I left with my aging body, I feel that I could still rub elbows with the best of them. This means chasing a half marathon and full marathon personal best.

The marathon is such an incredible event. Here in the US we have a 40 year old on the Olympic team, which gives me hope that perhaps my best marathon is still ahead of me, and not in the rear view mirror waving goodbye. That said, I sure hope it's a beautiful destination ahead of me and that I have the foresight to take the correct roads to the exit and reap the benefits of a pr. I'll have to plan more accordingly, take the proper precautions and train my body the proper way. 
 
I've said, time and time again, that the journey is worth more than the finish. So with this Journey to Boston, I've found myself stumbling... praying... rejoicing... contiplating and focused. I now know I'll make it to the start. I've had some good weeks, and some bad weeks, but at least I'm still training. Whatever happens on Boylston street will be a victory that I will tuck away quietly regardless of time or place. It will be one step closer in the right direction, and forever a race that I'll cherish with gratitude. 

Training week 2/29-3/6:
Mon. Off
Tue. 9 miles 3x800 (2:29, 2:33, 2:31)
Wed. 10 miles
Thur. 10 miles
Fri. 8 miles
Sat. 2 mile w/u 8 mile tempo (5:45, 5:50, 5:47, 5:48, 5:48, 5:51, 5:47, 5:39) 2 c/d 12 total. 
Sun. 18 miles

Total: 68 miles



















No comments: