Thursday, December 6, 2012

New Olympic Trials Marathon Standards

How do I start this post:

A) So, the new Standards are out, and many people are a bit discouraged with the bar being raised once again.

B) Why does the usatf want to cripple our sport when the options are right in front of their face to improve our fan base and public interest?  Does running a 2:18/2:43 really make those that are seeking participation and interest in our sport increase their efforts and rise to those new standards?  As if, because having an "easier" time standard will automatically make runners only run what's expected of them.  I don't think so.

C)  Bring it on!!!  Keep raising that bar, and just try to keep me out!  Cause, I ain't backing down and would love to hit that "A" standard to run another great race all on your dime usatf!  (Actually, it's the host city that pays for it, the usatf doesn't do jack shit for the runners, except tell us what to wear in the race).

D) WTF?!?!  Why excluded all those potential runners, families, and fans?!?!  Let's close down an entire city, block off all the streets and let 50 runners occupy it, because they felt that in the last 4 years all they wanted to do was have a chance to make the Olympic Team and represent their country!

E) All of the above wrapped and warped into one giant post.

Well, either way, all the talking and posting on Letsrun or tweets (I don't tweet) isn't going to change the time standards.  And, in a selfish kind of way, I don't feel impeded by the new standards.  I do feel disappointed though.  I knew this was coming, and knew the idiotic thought process behind the usatf and their perception of squeezing down on the lifeline that feeds them - the runner.  They (usatf) feel that by increasing the time standards, they are raising the bar, when in fact they are just pulling down the shades and blocking out the light!  The more they keep excluding runners, jumpers, and throwers, the less and less people will care about them and move onto more inclusive activities.  There is no need to push away all those talented runners.  And in my opinion, I'd rather see a bad runner have the opportunity to race in the trials, than a good runner out on the sidelines.

The new times are:

A Standard: 2:15 Men / 2:37 Women
B Standard: 2:18 Men / 2:43 Women
Alt. B Standard 1:05 half marathon Men / 1:15 half marathon Women

All I know, is that a lot of good runners will be left out, and I'm not going to wait until the last minute, or in my case, the last week to qualify.  My goal is also the "A" Standard.  So, when the window opens on August, 1st, there'll be a surge of runners going after it!  Good Luck to us all, and hope to hear that you're training hard and ready to race! 

No comments: