Thursday, August 29, 2013

37 More Days and 3 Goals in Mind


Well, it's about 5 weeks until the USA Marathon Championships, and I am getting more and more excited about it.  I know training is going smooth, and I feel confident with each passing week that this race will be one of my best performances.  I don't want to get ahead of myself, but I feel that things are going to go the way I foresee them.  At this point, I am not 100% sure who will be on the starting line.  I have a few guesses towards who will be there, but the full list hasn't been posted yet.  The prize structure is excellent, the course can be a bit challenging, and the competition will be excellent.  With all these factors in mind; I have set 3 separate goals that I would like to accomplish.

Goals:
Run a PR
Qualify for the Olympic Trials
Top 10 finish

First off, my number one priority is to run a PR.  By running a person record, I would accomplish 2 goals, and quite possibly all 3 goals.  You just never know who'll be in the race, and a 2:17 or 2:16 could be 11th place...  Either way, I would be extremely happy if I ran a marathon faster than I've ever gone before.  So with that said, yes, I want to PR and I feel that I am in PR shape.

The second goal would be great to accomplish if things went south during the race, and would alleviate a lot of pressure when picking other races to get ready for.  If nothing else, this is a huge priority and something I should be able to do.

The third goal should happen if I am as fit as I think I am.  I really want to compete and race well, and by finishing in the top 10 would accomplish that.

When it is all said and done, I am going to approach this race just as it is - a Race!  The only times I've done well are when I race the marathon against those that are in the field.  Every time I calculate the race and pace myself, it doesn't end too well.  I am not going to kill myself and race from the lead thinking I can win it, but I am going to assess the runners and my own fitness, and see how well I do against those that show up to the Twin Cities.  Now I just need to figure out which Brooks shoes to race in...
Which Brooks T-Racer shall I pick...?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You're making us all faster by association. DTC!