Sunday, February 12, 2012

It's Coming...

Spring is almost in the air in Albuquerque... Yet it didn't feel like it this morning for a local 5k race, as the mercury floated around 30 degrees. It was time for me to shed the rust out of my legs and run a road race, and get the feeling of pounding the pavement again. So after a few weeks of just running mileage I was able to cruise a solo 5k at altitude in 15:12. This, by no means is impressive, but since I don't run many 5k's at altitude on the roads, this was actually the fastest I've ever covered the distance at altitude, and I felt pretty good about it.

I have many more weeks ahead, and much, much more work to do, but I feel that this is a decent starting point. The first real test will come on March, 10th in Jacksonville as I toe the line at the USA 15k Championships. There will be no hiding behind altitude times, weather, or the mystery of fitness. It will be a Championships race, where no one cares what your excuses are, and I will have only myself to race against. Sure, they'll be other guys around, but I see it as a chance to push myself even harder and use the competition to gain another pr.

So, with Spring almost here, and track races upon the horizon, there will still be more miles to cover in an attempt to run more PR's. Cheers to everyone getting ready for their own important races!

Mon - pm. 10 easy
Tue - am. 10 easy / pm. 10 easy
Wed - am. 12 easy / pm. 10 easy
Thur - am. 10 easy / pm. 12 easy
Fri - am. 8 easy / pm. 12 med
Sat - am. 11 med / 10 easy
Sun - 5k total: 5 miles

Total: 120 miles

No comments: