Tuesday, September 17, 2024

This week of Fatherhood: Lobo XC Invite

 Week of September 9th - 15th


This week of fatherhood and miles brought me to some decent morning runs and wide awake smiles from Santi. The entire week was fine juggling some groggy miles at 5:30am, but Saturday was the most exciting time with Santi. That’s when I was planning on driving over to the UNM Golf Course and warm up with the Stroller before the Lobo XC Invite. 


The morning of September 14th had a minor hiccup - we left the car seat in Arlene’s car as she left for an early morning Market Set-up at Winrock. Luckily, Santi was now big enough and nearly old enough to fit in the Jogging Stroller without his carseat. I loaded up everything I needed for the race; which only amounted to racing flats and some water, but added all of Santi’s essentials as well. Threw it all in the undercarriage and warmed up to the golf course. The mere 2.77 miles was a perfect warm-up before my actual warm-up later that morning. 


Santi seemed to enjoy his new front-facing configuration, but this made me realize that he’s constantly growing and that phase of life is forever gone. It’s a sad moment, but a lot less physical weight and drag on our sweet stroller. This is gonna be the new norm for us, for a while now. I think I could get used to it. 


Once we got to the meet, he was met with so many familiar faces - to me, but not to Santi. He got to meet so many new people and had plenty of time to nap in his stroller as I jogged around and watched some of the races. I’m not sure he will be a cross country fan…. Yet.


It was nice to run with the guys and catch up with some older/former students of mine, and once the race gun went off, it was a thrill of cross country all over again. Even if we were in the “Community Race” which encompassed the “C” teams of many of the bigger high schools and local runners. Corey blasted past a pack of younger and less experienced runners after about 600 meters to hold his position and become the eventual winner in 15:45. I had a great race battling amongst teammates: Brett, Dan and fellow local-legend friend Solomon Kandie. I couldn’t quite power up the inclines throughout the course, but managed to hold my distance on any downhills or straight aways. And after hearing some former students yell out “slay” and other encouraging Gen Alpha phrases, I kept plugging along. But, when Zach yelled out in an almost humorous tone, “Come on Jesse, do it for Santi!!!” I had a mental smile and knew I had to empty the tank for the last 800m. Once we rounded the last turn and had about 600m to go, I dug deep and past Dan and Solomon on the straightaway to the finish for a time of 17:04. 


I knew I was right around that time for that course and fitness, and had the mindset to just be under 17 minutes. But, all and all, it was a good race and a great test of fitness. I was definitely tired from just racing last weekend and could feel it in my body, but luckily my legs responded well. My biggest regret is not taking a photo holding Santi, as he was passed out in the stroller with his Grampy watching him while I raced. This was Santi’s first cross country race, and he was such a good boy to just hangout and be in the moment.


Sunday’s long run went pretty well too. Got my first 20 miler of this training block complete, and feel ready to tack on more miles over the next few weeks. The juggling game continues as Mt. Taylor 50k is around the corner and plenty of youth coaching in the mix as well.


Training this week:


Monday - easy 3 miles w/the kiddos

Tuesday - 6.8 miles in the afternoon

Wednesday - Fartlek (5-4-3-2-1) on the grass. Total: 7.35

Thursday - easy 6ish

Friday - MTC run 8 miles

Saturday - 9.7 miles total. Lobo xc invite 17:04

Sunday - 20 miles in 2:26:01 7:16/mi avg.


Total: 61 miles  




No comments: